Saint Landry, Populated Place in Evangeline Parish, Louisiana, USA. Latitude: 30.84417 : Longitude: -92.25778 : Elevation: 49 ft.
This comunity as well as any other community is only as great as their Churches. The Baptis Church in St. Landry had its
beginning as an outgrowth of the Hebron Baptist Church of the Dossman Community. In 1912 this church was reconstituted and began to hold services in the St. Landry School building.
In 1922 the membership numbered 247 and by 1926 the church was beginning to send out ministers of the gospel.
R. H. Whittington and Levi Coates were licensed to preach that year
It was not until 1936 that the church called a pastor for full time service. Highlighting this year was the licensing of Dean Harrell, Jaroy Weber and Robert Bundick to preach. Woodrow Kennedy was licensed in 1937 and Emmit Wren in 1954.
In 1920 a frame auditorium was built. This building was remodeled in 1936 and in 1941 Sunday School rooms were added to the auditorium.
Under the leadership of Dr. R. H. Whittington who became pastor in 1946, the church began to envision a long range plan for a new church plant. In 1953 a new brick auditorium was erected. A desire for finer educational facilities brought about a new educational building and a renovated youth center in 1961.
With the devoted leadership of many good men of God, the members of our church have been able to grow and develop as the results of efforts, tithes and gifts which have been bountifully blessed by God.
Information of when the Settlement was settled, who the first settler was and any other information on this community.